This loss is normal and cannot be prevented. No-one is yet making doggie hearing aids so I guess this is my life from now on. I asked Mum “why, if they can replace people’s worn out legs with artificial ones why can’t they give me a new ear?” Mum replied,” It is much more complicated KoKo, the ear has millions of little-specialised cells which can’t be easily imitated.
The second kind of loss hit my bouncy jumping. I now take a moment to assess the height of something I am jumping u or down from. My elbows a bit arthritic but nothing too bad yet. The vet can help with tablets while an animal physio could help with hydrotherapy or special joint exercises.
Staying warm and cosy during the colder months
Please Protect our older elbows and haunches by providing us mature dog with a comfortable bed in a protected area. A good bed makes it easier to get out of in the morning.
Making dinner time easy
Elevated feeders or pet bowls make eating and drinking more comfortable if I have a sore back or hips.
Stepping it up with ease
Are steps becoming a problem at your place? Consider installing a ramp or adding middle steps. There are various DIY products which can assist and are not necessarily expensive. If your pet is a regular car traveller you can also purchase ready-made pet ramps which simply hook on to the rear of a car (wagon) when required.
Strictly for dogs’ eyes only
I felt the sharpness
Of scorched grass blades
And scratchy weeds,
Where there was no shade.
I baked in an oven
Or an east wind blast,
Craving to find some
Cool water at last.
Bright burning glare,
Sweaty poor sleep,
Dry, dusty mouth,
Poor burnt feet!
Mum, Cottesloe Beach,
Can’t we go there please?
With our bathers and towels
To enjoy the cool breeze?
Shared from Puppytales.com.au by KoKo Potter
So what is the issue with grapes, raisins and sultanas for dogs?
Grapes, raisins and sultanas have been shown to cause acute renal failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) in some dogs. This finding was first identified in 1998 and by 2001 the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Centre (APCC) had documented enough cases for it to be classed as a real syndrome. In 2003 members of the Veterinary Information Network took part in a survey and 7.4% of respondents indicated they had treated at least 1 case of grape, raisin or sultana toxicosis.
Even though there has been some research, the reason as to why some dogs develop renal failure after eating grapes, raisins and sultanas is still unknown. Further work is needed to understand the toxicity and if there are other environmental factors that cause it to occur.
The toxic dose
Dogs that are affected by these foods can develop kidney failure 72 hours after ingestion. But how do you know when your dog has had a toxic dose? This is the hard part, as my vet informed me some dogs can eat relatively large volumes of grapes, sultanas and raisins without any issues while other dogs can consume one or two and become ill. Estimated amounts of fresh grapes associated with kidney injury are approximately 32g or 1.1oz per kilogram of your dog’s weight. Raisins and sultanas are slightly more powerful: from 11-30g or 0.39-1.06oz per kilo of your dog’s weight. BUT a study in 2005 looked at 10 dogs who had suffered renal failure after ingesting greater than or equal to 3g (0.11oz) per kilogram of raisins or dry matter of grapes (dry matter is calculated as 20% of grape weight). As you can see there are no hard and fast rules so if you suspect your dog has ingested any grapes/raisins/sultanas call your vet.
Symptoms of Toxic food poisoning
If your dog has eaten grapes, raisins or sultanas they might have some of the following symptoms:
- not eating
- abdominal pain
- increased drinking
Clinical signs your vet may look for in a blood test include things like increased blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, phosphorus, calcium. Plus they would ask about reduced urination or no urination.
Treatment of Toxic food poisoning
If your dog has consumed these foods within the past two hours (as our dog Eddie did) your vet will most likely induce vomiting via an injection (hydrogen peroxide or apomorphine) followed by activated charcoal. If your dog has eaten a significant amount, started vomiting themselves or ingested the food several hours prior, intravenous fluid therapy might be suggested. In severe cases dialysis of the blood and peritoneal dialysismight be used to support the kidneys.
Grapes, sultanas and raisins are popular foods in many households (ours especially) so it is best to be vigilant and ensure that your dogs do not come in contact with these foods. Don’t leave them lying around at their level or any place that they can access. I have made a new rule that my daughter now only has sultanas when we are out of the house. As for grapes she eats them at the dinner table under supervision.
But even if you have no children around the house you can easily slip up by leaving out raisin toast, fruit cake or — particularly at this time of year — a hot cross bun. So keep all these foods in your cupboard or fridge and make sure they are not shared with your four-legged loved one.
Even if your dog doesn’t get ill the stress and cost of an emergency vet trip is never a great way to spend your day.
Please note: Puppy Tales provides these articles for information purposes only. For any health problems with your pet always seek immediate veterinary advice from your local veterinarian.
Helen Potter FACP via KoKo Potter
Mum tried to get me to like water when I was just a puppy, but she wasn’t successful. If the weather is hot I’m a happy race down the sand slope and lower myself into the cool water but I will forever be an “armpit Swimmer” that’s as far as I’ll go! woofs from KoKo.