Courtesy of Puppy Tales
Grapes, raisins and sultanas may cause acute renal failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) in some dogs.
Even though there has been some research, the reason as to why some dogs develop renal failure after eating grapes, raisins and sultanas is still unknown. Further work is needed to understand the toxicity and if there are other environmental factors that cause it to occur.
The toxic dose
Dogs that are affected by these foods can develop kidney failure 72 hours after ingestion. some dogs can eat relatively large volumes of grapes, sultanas and raisins without any issues while other dogs can consume one or two and become ill. Estimated amounts of fresh grapes associated with kidney injury are approximately 32g or 1.1oz per kilogram of your dog’s weight. Raisins and sultanas are slightly more powerful: from 11-30g or 0.39-1.06oz per kilo of your dog’s weight.
If you suspect your dog has ingested any grapes/raisins/sultanas call your vet.
If your dog has eaten grapes, raisins or sultanas they might have some of the following symptoms:
- not eating
- abdominal pain
- increased drinking
If your dog has consumed these foods within the past two hours your vet will most likely induce vomiting via an injection (hydrogen peroxide or apomorphine) followed by activated charcoal. If your dog has eaten a significant amount, started vomiting themselves or ingested the food several hours prior, intravenous fluid therapy might be suggested. In severe cases dialysis of the blood and peritoneal dialysis might be used to support the kidneys.
Grapes, sultanas and raisins are popular foods in many households so it is best to be vigilant and ensure that your dogs do not come in contact with these foods. Don’t leave them lying around at their level or any place that they can access.
Even if your dog doesn’t get ill the stress and cost of an emergency vet trip is never a great way to spend your day.
Please note: Puppy Tales provides these articles for information purposes only. For any health problems with your pet always seek immediate veterinary advice from your local veterinarian.
Oh dear, I feel awful, my tummy is tense with pain, I feel as if I might throw up (again) and I am not my usual bright self.
Mum thinks I ate too much last night. I kept yelling at her to give me more food.
Or maybe I found something at Leighton Beach when she was not looking.
Whatever it was, the short enjoyment I might have felt is in the past. I feel dreadful.
So when Mum took me to my favourite park and I would not even check my Wee-mails, she knew I was not pretending.
After two injections from the vet, including a painkiller, I am still not feeling well. Even peaceful sleep won’t come to me.
I hope that I can write to you tomorrow and tell you all is well.
I am not well
(Certainly, Mum’s wallet is not very well either!)
Woofs from a miserable KoKo
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which in larger amounts is especially dangerous because pets can’t break it down and eliminate it the same way humans can. It can build up to toxic concentrations and cause multi-organ disease and failure if not treated properly.
What symptoms will you see if your doggie mate eats chocolate this Easter?
Symptoms will occur from four to 24 hours after your pet has eaten chocolate and will vary depending on the amount of chocolate (theobromine) your dog has eaten. Dr Lui says, ” theobromine mainly affects the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys. Theobromine is a toxin that links to hyperactivity. Death can occur.”
Symptoms of eating chocolate are:
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle tension, incoordination
- Increased heart rate
- Blood in vomit
KoKo’s personal tale about chocolate
If I eat chocolate, then you need to take me to the vet. The doctor will force charcoal down my throat and make me throw up (just like they did when I ate a blowfish!). They may also give intravenous fluids (a drip), medication to control heart rate, blood pressure and seizure activity.
“I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE” I keep repeating this phrase if I find my Mum Helen’s stash. I do not want to sit on newspaper and be made to throw up. Sadly I know from experience that if I find a special treat I will forget all the vet’s warnings. So I keep reminding myself “I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE.”
Luckily, with prompt intervention and treatment, even in dogs that have eaten large amounts of chocolate, the prognosis for a poisoned dog is usually good. If you thick that your pet has eaten chocolate, contact your nearest Vet urgently for treatment.
Edited from Greencross Vets <email@example.com>
My Mum Helen took photos of animals waiting for the Vet on New Year’s Eve. They should have been out partying but they were ill and needed attention.
Kahlua going home again
Owner of five cats!
It’s not really too bad going to see Greg the vet now that I am older.
Today I even tried to jump the queue and rushed into the consulting room when I spied him as he opened the consulting room door. He said “KoKo please sit down, it is not your turn yet.So I turned a little red and slunk back to the floor to wait.
No dog likes the private treatment Greg has to give me for my itchy bottom BBut I felt much more comfortable afterwards.
Thank you, Greg.
While we were waiting at the Vets we met this wise looking fellow called Ralph.
Woofs from KoKo
Ralph at the Subiaco Vet
Thank you to Wembley Vet Clinic for this handy information.
KoKo waiting his Puppicino at Floyds Cafe
- Azaleas and rhododendrons contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, coma, and potentially even death.
- Tulip and daffodil bulbs cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and increased heart rate.
- Cycads are highly toxic. A single seed may result in vomiting, seizures and liver failure – usually irreversible.
- Cape lilac berries are toxic to dogs (and people). GI upsets like nausea, drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, belly pain, and diarrhoea. Also lethargy and weakness and a “drunken” or wobbly gait. With severe intoxications, changes to their breathing, heartbeat, tremors, collapse and seizures.
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, is a popular hedging plant in WA with purple flowers that fade too white. If eaten it can cause muscle spasms, convulsions similar to strychnine poisoning and could potentially cause death within just a few hours. when pruning every leaf and stem should be discarded.
- Wandering Jew is a common weed and ground cover in WA gardens. It can cause significant skin irritation and a nasty rash.
So… don’t nibble your Mum or Dad’s plants or you may become very sick.
Dog food is much more tasty and healthy too. KoKo Potter