KoKo and Dog mates
I have been staying with my doggie mates at Mandurah again. Bro and Bonnie kept me company on walks in the park and down to the cafe every morning. Of course John and Alison, their humans, had to hold our leads.
“Spill the Beans” Cafe at Seacrest is very popular with the local dogs as the cafe sells tasty treats for us. We are lucky dogs.
At night us “Three Amigos” play “Musical Beds”, thinking that someone else’s bed is likely to be more comfortable. Some nights I creep out of my bed and lay on the floor nearer to John. He is surprised to find me in this spot in the mornings.
I always race back speedily to John when he calls me at the park, as he has an endless supply of doggie treats in his pocket.
Even though I enjoy staying with my mates nothing beats the joy of seeing my Human Mum at the door. All three of us leap over her as she arrives at the door. We slather her with kisses. I let out a sharp bark and run to our car. I stand next to the door barking loudly to ensure Mum knows I want to go back to my home in Subiaco.
Thank you John and Alison for your care and cuddles. Woofs from KoKo
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which in larger amounts is especially dangerous because pets can’t break it down and eliminate it the same way humans can. It can build up to toxic concentrations and cause multi-organ disease and failure if not treated properly.
What symptoms will you see if your doggie mate eats chocolate this Easter?
Symptoms will occur from four to 24 hours after your pet has eaten chocolate and will vary depending on the amount of chocolate (theobromine) your dog has eaten. Dr Lui says, ” theobromine mainly affects the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys. Theobromine is a toxin that links to hyperactivity. Death can occur.”
Symptoms of eating chocolate are:
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle tension, incoordination
- Increased heart rate
- Blood in vomit
KoKo’s personal tale about chocolate
If I eat chocolate, then you need to take me to the vet. The doctor will force charcoal down my throat and make me throw up (just like they did when I ate a blowfish!). They may also give intravenous fluids (a drip), medication to control heart rate, blood pressure and seizure activity.
“I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE” I keep repeating this phrase if I find my Mum Helen’s stash. I do not want to sit on newspaper and be made to throw up. Sadly I know from experience that if I find a special treat I will forget all the vet’s warnings. So I keep reminding myself “I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE.”
Luckily, with prompt intervention and treatment, even in dogs that have eaten large amounts of chocolate, the prognosis for a poisoned dog is usually good. If you thick that your pet has eaten chocolate, contact your nearest Vet urgently for treatment.
Edited from Greencross Vets <firstname.lastname@example.org>
We attended the AGM, waiting quietly for the treat we knew was coming afterwards. The Furbaby cafe had made a scrumptious cake which all us doggies were allowed to tuck into. You can see from the blue cream on our noses that not a lot went astray.
Furbaby cafe cake anxiously awaited
Pace finishing the last lick
Just out of reach
Demolishing the cake
Teddy looking for cake
Hey , Look how popular I am. The Pawsome dog site found all these loves for me!
16! They thought my photos were awesome.
KoKo Beach Smile
KoKo Dancing Queen
Woofs from KoKo
Time for a yummy sausage sandwich in my park. My Mum spoils me!
I shared some with my doggie mates, then did my tricks for the kids. They all sang Happy Birthday KoKo.
They all sang Happy Birthday KoKo.
I am eleven years old but still sprightly. Woofs to all KoKo