Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which in larger amounts is especially dangerous because pets can’t break it down and eliminate it the same way humans can. It can build up to toxic concentrations and cause multi-organ disease and failure if not treated properly.
What symptoms will you see if your doggie mate eats chocolate this Easter?
Symptoms will occur from four to 24 hours after your pet has eaten chocolate and will vary depending on the amount of chocolate (theobromine) your dog has eaten. Dr Lui says, ” theobromine mainly affects the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys. Theobromine is a toxin that links to hyperactivity. Death can occur.”
Symptoms of eating chocolate are:
Muscle tension, incoordination
Increased heart rate
Blood in vomit
KoKo’s personal tale about chocolate
If I eat chocolate, then you need to take me to the vet. The doctor will force charcoal down my throat and make me throw up (just like they did when I ate a blowfish!). They may also give intravenous fluids (a drip), medication to control heart rate, blood pressure and seizure activity.
“I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE” I keep repeating this phrase if I find my Mum Helen’s stash. I do not want to sit on newspaper and be made to throw up. Sadly I know from experience that if I find a special treat I will forget all the vet’s warnings. So I keep reminding myself “I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE.”
Luckily, with prompt intervention and treatment, even in dogs that have eaten large amounts of chocolate, the prognosis for a poisoned dog is usually good. If you thick that your pet has eaten chocolate, contact your nearest Vet urgently for treatment.
Edited from Greencross Vets <email@example.com>
Thank you to Wembley Vet Clinic for this handy information.
Azaleas and rhododendrons contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, coma, and potentially even death.
Tulip and daffodil bulbs cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and increased heart rate.
Cycads are highly toxic. A single seed may result in vomiting, seizures and liver failure – usually irreversible.
Cape lilac berries are toxic to dogs (and people). GI upsets like nausea, drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, belly pain, and diarrhoea. Also lethargy and weakness and a “drunken” or wobbly gait. With severe intoxications, changes to their breathing, heartbeat, tremors, collapse and seizures.
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, is a popular hedging plant in WA with purple flowers that fade too white. If eaten it can cause muscle spasms, convulsions similar to strychnine poisoning and could potentially cause death within just a few hours. when pruning every leaf and stem should be discarded.
Wandering Jew is a common weed and ground cover in WA gardens. It can cause significant skin irritation and a nasty rash.
So… don’t nibble your Mum or Dad’s plants or you may become very sick.
Dog food is much more tasty and healthy too. KoKo Potter
Here is a photo of me dancing at the Animal Companions Christmas party last week. There were 40 new dog mates to greet and meet and I found a table full of yummy ham rolls and salad.
How did i know they were yummy? (Here is where I start to blush). Well, I was actually a bit naughty.
I thought – “Everyone has stopped eating now, the food will only go to waste.” But how could I reach them?”
As you know I am a Maltese Shih Tsu so I’m a little height impaired.
“Tick, tick , tick, went my little brain cells (the smell of meat is a good neuro driver). I looked around for one of my new friends – a very tall retriever caught my eye. We had a brief chat and made a bargain. He had no trouble leaping up, grabbing the plate and chucking ham rolls everywhere.
I must say though, I had to eat very very fast because he was a real gobbled gook!
A little human called Lucy lead us to a secret new friend this evening at Subiaco Common.
It was hiding in a scruffy tree looking very fluffy and content.
Mum told me it was a very wise bird called an owl. They are birds that sit and watch and think. They don’t run around leaping from one thing to another like dogs do (I think Mum was referring to my hyperexcitability!)
Here is a photo Mum took of it. I wondered what was on its mind.
And here I am later dancing for a bit of cheese!
A group of school kids were having a picnic.
As usual I could not resist looking for food scraps under their table then pestering them for a little treat.
My cute looks and deep brown hungry eyes always convince them to give in!!
Saturday is our day to walk down Rokeby Road to the Station Street Markets for Turkish Pide or Curry and Dahl from Pappadams. If in need of a sugar hit, we head straight for the French Patisserie for a crunchy croissant. Then Mum buys her nuts and muesli from Angry Almond and her fruit and veggies from one of the well-stocked stalls. I wait patiently as usual near the flower stall. (If you read my Love Blog you will see why I wait near the flowers!)
Recently a new stall selling thick creamy milk and yogurt has become my favourite. The woman is wonderful she always offers me a little cup of milk. “Woof, Woof? More please?” I ask politely looking up at her with my big brown glowing eyes and delightful smile.
This is also where Mum bought my Eagles Jacket. Val measured me from nose to tail then around my fluffy middle so that the jacket would fit well. Of course I think I look pretty handsome on football days and it keeps me warm. What do you think?