Oh dear, I feel awful, my tummy is tense with pain, I feel as if I might throw up (again) and I am not my usual bright self.
Mum thinks I ate too much last night. I kept yelling at her to give me more food.
Or maybe I found something at Leighton Beach when she was not looking.
Whatever it was, the short enjoyment I might have felt is in the past. I feel dreadful.
So when Mum took me to my favourite park and I would not even check my Wee-mails, she knew I was not pretending.
After two injections from the vet, including a painkiller, I am still not feeling well. Even peaceful sleep won’t come to me.
I hope that I can write to you tomorrow and tell you all is well.
I am not well
(Certainly, Mum’s wallet is not very well either!)
Woofs from a miserable KoKo
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which in larger amounts is especially dangerous because pets can’t break it down and eliminate it the same way humans can. It can build up to toxic concentrations and cause multi-organ disease and failure if not treated properly.
What symptoms will you see if your doggie mate eats chocolate this Easter?
Symptoms will occur from four to 24 hours after your pet has eaten chocolate and will vary depending on the amount of chocolate (theobromine) your dog has eaten. Dr Lui says, ” theobromine mainly affects the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys. Theobromine is a toxin that links to hyperactivity. Death can occur.”
Symptoms of eating chocolate are:
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle tension, incoordination
- Increased heart rate
- Blood in vomit
KoKo’s personal tale about chocolate
If I eat chocolate, then you need to take me to the vet. The doctor will force charcoal down my throat and make me throw up (just like they did when I ate a blowfish!). They may also give intravenous fluids (a drip), medication to control heart rate, blood pressure and seizure activity.
“I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE” I keep repeating this phrase if I find my Mum Helen’s stash. I do not want to sit on newspaper and be made to throw up. Sadly I know from experience that if I find a special treat I will forget all the vet’s warnings. So I keep reminding myself “I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE.”
Luckily, with prompt intervention and treatment, even in dogs that have eaten large amounts of chocolate, the prognosis for a poisoned dog is usually good. If you thick that your pet has eaten chocolate, contact your nearest Vet urgently for treatment.
Edited from Greencross Vets <firstname.lastname@example.org>
It’s not really too bad going to see Greg the vet now that I am older.
Today I even tried to jump the queue and rushed into the consulting room when I spied him as he opened the consulting room door. He said “KoKo please sit down, it is not your turn yet.So I turned a little red and slunk back to the floor to wait.
No dog likes the private treatment Greg has to give me for my itchy bottom BBut I felt much more comfortable afterwards.
Thank you, Greg.
While we were waiting at the Vets we met this wise looking fellow called Ralph.
Woofs from KoKo
Ralph at the Subiaco Vet
Thank you to Wembley Vet Clinic for this handy information.
KoKo waiting his Puppicino at Floyds Cafe
- Azaleas and rhododendrons contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, coma, and potentially even death.
- Tulip and daffodil bulbs cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and increased heart rate.
- Cycads are highly toxic. A single seed may result in vomiting, seizures and liver failure – usually irreversible.
- Cape lilac berries are toxic to dogs (and people). GI upsets like nausea, drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, belly pain, and diarrhoea. Also lethargy and weakness and a “drunken” or wobbly gait. With severe intoxications, changes to their breathing, heartbeat, tremors, collapse and seizures.
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, is a popular hedging plant in WA with purple flowers that fade too white. If eaten it can cause muscle spasms, convulsions similar to strychnine poisoning and could potentially cause death within just a few hours. when pruning every leaf and stem should be discarded.
- Wandering Jew is a common weed and ground cover in WA gardens. It can cause significant skin irritation and a nasty rash.
So… don’t nibble your Mum or Dad’s plants or you may become very sick.
Dog food is much more tasty and healthy too. KoKo Potter
Thanks to Dr Greg from Subiaco Vet for some more tips!
When I wag my tail – I am smiling! But, if my tail is high and wagging slowly, I am feeling confident and friendly, whereas if I hold my tail low and wag it rapidly, it means i am a little nervous.
When I am scooting or dragging my bottom on the ground I am itchy and probably have blocked anal glands. Mum knows to take me to Dr Greg.
Licking – Most common reasons for licking ourselves and other dogs is that they taste good, and we are trying to show affection
WHen you arrive home and I bring you a toy I am giving you a gift that I think you will like. It is a sign of my affection.
Thank you Greg for putting my photo in your newsletter. Everyone knows I am a keen Eagles supporter.